CARE & REPAIR
Well-loved cashmere can be given a new lease of life if you treat it with care.
Pilling is caused by loose fibres on the surface of the garment tangling together, resulting in small bobbles (pills), particularly in areas where there is more abrasion. This is perfectly normal, due to the natural fibres of cashmere and can be easily removed by gently brushing with your cashmere comb. After removal, and a few washes, the garment will become even softer, and the investment piece you love for many years to come.
Pringle of Scotland will happily review your cashmere garment and redress it if possible. Please contact our Customer Services team for further assistance.
One of cashmere’s biggest enemies are tiny, unassuming moths! Always store your cashmere garments clean, as they can attract the moths. You can store in zipped clothing bags to protect them.
If you are not wearing your garment regularly, make sure you air and clean wardrobes and drawers and shake out garments periodically. Have a quick look over – moths like nooks such as under collars, under the arms and inside folds and lapels…
Lavender sachets and cedar balls may help to prevent moths. Dry cleaning cashmere can also repel moths as they dislike the chemical smell.
Please remember to read the care label inside your cashmere product before cleaning. If you treat your cashmere with respect it will be part of your wardrobe for a lifetime.
Cashmere knitwear can be hand washed or dry-cleaned. We recommend the following process for hand-washing:
- Turn the garment inside out and place in lukewarm water containing a non-bio detergent.
- Gently press the water through fabric – do not rub, wring or stretch.
- Rinse thoroughly in clean cold or lukewarm water.
- Squeeze out excess water, taking care not to stretch the garment.
- On a flat surface, smooth the garment back into shape.
- Dry flat, away from sunlight or direct heat sources.
- Once dry, press lightly on reverse with a cool iron.
Cashmere will not survive the tumble-dryer – do not try!
Cashmere can be dry-cleaned, although please be aware that the super-soft feeling will not be as noticeable due to the chemicals used during the process.